London and South East Classics Network
In 2013, Classics for All was awarded £250,000 by the London Schools Excellence Fund with subsequent funding from the Big Give Christmas Challenge, in 2017, to support the growth of classics teaching in state schools in London and the South East.
This generous support has enabled us to offer free training to introduce classics in over 300 state schools in this region. We are accustomed to working with teachers with no specialism in classics and back up initial training with mentoring, opportunities to share practice with other teachers, a termly newsletter and regular events.
In 2019, achievements included:
- training 100 teachers to teach classics, benefiting 4,000 pupils.
- working in partnership with independent and state schools to offer mentoring for novice classics teachers in state schools.
- supporting initial teacher training for four new classics teachers in the Harris Multi-Academy Trust, building capacity at a time of teacher shortage.
- working with Museum of London Archaeology to introduce archaeology to pupils in ten primary schools.
- introductory classics events for schools to promote take-up of classics in schools in Essex, Hertfordshire and Kent.
Priorities for the 2020 include:
- developing classics teaching in state schools in Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent and Surrey.
- increasing the number of schools teaching classics in south London.
- building self-supporting networks for classics teachers across the capital.
Whether you are a classics teacher keen to develop or refresh their skills or a non-specialist teacher keen to get classics up and running in your school, we would love you to join our expanding network. To find out more, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.