Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire Classics Network
The Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire Classics Network was launched in 2018. We work in partnership with regional schools, colleagues from the universities of Oxford, Reading and Cheney School to expand the teaching of classics in regional state schools. We offer free training and resources to teachers in primary and secondary schools who want to introduce classical subjects on the curriculum or as an extra-curricular activity.
We work both with non-specialist teachers starting to teaching classics from scratch and subject specialists keen to develop existing provision.
In 2018-19 the network worked with five new state schools. Recent developments include:
- collaboration with the University of Reading Classics Department on an outreach event to publicise the benefits of classics in state schools.
- the introduction of ancient history AS Level at Burford School with support from Aylesbury Grammar School.
- the launch of a lunchtime Latin Club for pupils at Langtree School with longer term aspirations to introduce Latin at GCSE.
- plans to launch classical civilisation A Level course in Oxford Spires Academy.
In 2020, we plan to:
- extend work into Buckinghamshire and Berkshire, working with the Ure Museum at Reading University.
- recruit three new primary schools in the region to embed classics on the curriculum.
- work in partnership with Study Higher, to develop links with nine potential secondary schools in areas of socio-economic deprivation.
We are keen to hear from any teachers who are interested in training or joining our Network. For further information, please contact Network Co-ordinator Linda Soames: email@example.com
We invite individual or corporate sponsorship of our regional networks. If you would like to find out more, please contact Sacha: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07854 634 861.