Network Co-ordinator: Angela Dix, firstname.lastname@example.org
Founded in 2018, the Cambridgeshire Network supports state primary and secondary schools in the Cambridge area to introduce classics to the school curriculum. The network works in partnership with the University of Cambridge, the local Classical Association and The Leys School, an independent school committed to promoting classics in state schools.
In 2020/21, the network supported 16 new primary schools and three secondary, bringing the overall total to 36 schools and over 3,000 pupils. Highlights included:
- Training 71 new teachers to teach Latin, Classical Civilisation or Ancient History in primary and secondary schools.
- Introducing Latin to five primary schools across the Brooke Weston Trust. Led by Peckover Primary in Wisbech, this group of schools have all started to teach Latin across Key Stage 2, training 40 teachers and reaching 1,140 pupils.
- Holding online ‘Teach-Meets’ throughout the year in collaboration with the local Classical Association to support teachers from local schools.
- Offering a Primary Classics evening to help primary colleagues plan their Classics curriculum, attracting over 40 attendees.
- Use of shared remote teaching to broaden access to Latin for pupils across the Cambridge Academic Partnership. 20 students from Trumpington joined with Parkside Year 7 students for online Latin teaching. Six Year 10 pupils from Cambridge Academy of Science and Technology took part in an online fast-track GCSE Latin course with Parkside Year 10s, which will continue into Y11.
- Establishing a primary school mythology competition to complement the Classical Association’s Junior and Senior Reading competitions.
- Collaborating with the Classical Association to plan a shared Cambridge Greek Club to teach Greek online to KS3 and KS5 students.
Despite recent school disruption, we continue to train schools online and have a packed programme of activities lined up for 2021/22.
If you teach in a state school and want our help to start teaching or develop classics on on off the curriculum, please get in touch.
Classics for All is very grateful to the John Coates Charitable Trust for sponsoring work in Cambridge and the surrounding area in 2021.
We invite individual or corporate sponsorship of our regional networks. If you would like to find out more, please contact Alice at: email@example.com.