Network Co-ordinator: Will Mundy, [email protected]
Follow us on Facebook: @ClassicsNetworkNorth
Follow us on Twitter: @ClassicsNorth
Set up in 2015, we aim to bring classics to schools in Greater Manchester and surrounding Leeds.
So far we have:
- supported 145 schools, 76 primary and 69 secondary schools.
- Reached cumulatively over 28,000 students.
- Trained 253 teachers in a classical subject.
We train non-specialist teachers wanting to offer classical subjects from primary school through to A-Level. Our team helps schools to find the right route into classics for their students, be it ancient history GCSE or teaching Latin to support literacy in primary schools.
From 2018, the Network was Co-ordinated by Maria Haley and handed over in 2020 to Will Dearnaley, teacher at Xaverian College. Responsibility has now been taken on by Will Mundy who currently co-ordinates both Leeds and Manchester as a joint network.
Achievements in 2020-21 include:
- supporting nine schools, two primary and seven secondary, three of which are new to the network. As a result, a further 935 new students across the city enjoy classics on the curriculum.
- recruiting one new primary school, Hamer Community Primary School, to begin teaching Latin on the curriculum to 180 new students in Key Stage 2 from the next academic year.
- Nelson and Colne College will introduce GCSE Latin as an extra-curricular offering to 25 A Level students and Moorside High School will offer classical civilisation as part of their English curriculum to 670 pupils at Key Stage 3.
- running twilight Latin CPD session for existing primary schools for 32 teachers from 19 different schools.
As well as working with teachers new to classics, we offer those with prior experience the chance to refresh their subject knowledge with support from highly skilled professional trainers. We encourage classics teachers in the North of England to share ideas and work closely with networks in Blackpool, Liverpool, Manchester and the North East on joint projects.
For more information on what we do, please contact Will Mundy at [email protected] or visit our website. All the support we offer is free of charge.
We invite individual or corporate sponsorship of our regional networks. If you would like to find out more, please get in touch at [email protected].