Network Co-ordinator: Dr Paul Grigsby, Paul.Grigsby@Warwick.ac.uk
Academic Lead: Professor Michael Scott, M.C.Scott@Warwick.ac.uk
The Warwick Classics Network was set up in 2018 by Professor Michael Scott to promote and support the development of classics teaching in state schools in Coventry, Warwickshire and beyond. It aims to make the study of classics accessible for everyone, irrespective of economic or social background.
- We support teachers currently offering classics with resources, advice, and a platform to share ideas and new approaches to teaching.
- We promote the teaching of classics in schools with no tradition of the subject offering free advice, training and Continuing Professional Development for teachers keen to introduce classics, even if they have no previous specialist training.
Our achievements include:
- offering 80 teachers training and continuing professional development
- introducing classics on the timetable in six local secondary schools. Most recently, we started classics in three secondary schools in the Futures Trust in Coventry, offering 540 students their first serious encounter with the ancient world.
- attracting over 2000 students and 150 teachers from schools from across the UK to our campus classics events including our annual Ancient Worlds Day, Ancient Drama Festival, and our Classical Civilisation Teachers Day.
- devising a suite of online resources, supporting the teaching of ancient history and classical civilisation, viewed over 60,000 times since March 2020.
In 2020-21 we will continue to bring classics to Coventry, Warwickshire and beyond. Our main goal is to introduce classics to more state secondary schools and primary schools. With our Roman Coventry 2021 project, we will also bring Coventry’s Roman past alive for every Coventry school child and distribute free teaching resources to all schools in the city.
If you would like our support to bring classics alive in your school please contact us.
The Warwick Classics Network is supported by Classics for All, the A.G.Leventis Foundation and the Warwick Widening Participation Fund.
We invite individual or corporate sponsorship of our regional networks. If you would like to find out more, please contact Sacha: email@example.com or 07854 634 861.