Liverpool Classics Network
The Liverpool College Classics Network is based in Liverpool College, an all through co-educational state academy in south Liverpool, which teaches Latin and classical civilisation throughout its senior phase, and a Latin club for primary pupils.
We were set up in October 2016, work closely with the University of Liverpool and are part of Classics for All North, which represents all our northern networks (Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Blackpool and Durham/NE), and aims to develop a strong regional presence for classics in the North.
The Liverpool College Classics Network aims to promote and support the teaching and learning of classical subjects in state schools across Merseyside and surrounding areas through offering free training and Continuing Professional Development for teachers in schools interested in introducing classics.
Achievements to date include:
- introducing Latin either as part of their curriculum or as a club in 12 primary schools.
- training 63 primary teachers to deliver Latin.
- delivering an annual primary Latin module for post- graduate teacher trainees Hope University, attended by 54 students over 3 years.
- supporting two local secondary schools to introduce Latin and ancient history at Key Stage 3
- running an ancient Greek academy which has put 16 students through Classical Greek GCSE with the University of Liverpool.
In addition, the Network hosts regular teach-meets and Continuing Professional Development days for regional teachers successful CPD for regional teachers and a taster day for pupils in Years 9/10 at Liverpool University, attended by 40 students.
Looking forward to 2020, the Network aims to support existing primary and secondary schools to teach classics and to extend classics to new schools. Other objectives include:
- developing a Schools Direct course for 4 trainee classics teachers in 2019-20.
- developing the Greek Academy. This year in addition to 12 new juniors, we have 15 seniors aiming for GCSE and a new AS level class with 6 students.
- developing further our fledgling Independent State Classics partnership and our Classics for All North Network to deliver more regional events for teachers and students.
If your school is interested in introducing classics, you are welcome to contact Network Co-ordinator Alice Case.
The Liverpool College Classics Network is grateful for the generous support of The Rushworth Foundation.