In 2015, a Lawyers Group was established in support of Classics for All – it has now grown to over 200 active members who contributed £41,600 in 2022.
For a subscription of £12.50 per month (£150 per year), or £6.25 per month for under 30's, Lawyers Group members enjoy exclusive access to two Lawyers Group events per year, including our annual moot trial at the UK Supreme Court.
Many members opt to give more by increasing their regular donation or sponsoring and donating to events. We are very grateful for any additional amount you may wish to give. Contributions from Lawyers Group members help fund Classics for All's work supporting classics teaching in state schools across the UK.
‘We have many first rate speakers and stimulating events and are always delighted to welcome new members.' - Sir Rupert Jackson, Former Chairman of the Lawyers Group Steering Committee.
‘We think that Classics for All will be of special interest to lawyers – and we include in that term judges, academics, practitioners, and not least law firms. There are many reasons why. As well as the close historical connections between Rome, Latin and the law, we are confident that an education in classics will not only improve the quality of education generally, but will also improve the quality of written English, and indeed the quality of reasoning and argument – obvious values for lawyers in particular.’ - Lord Dyson, former Master of the Rolls, and Sir Francis Jacobs KCMG KC.
The Lawyers Group is led by a Steering Committee of:
Sir Rabinder Singh KC (Chairman)
Sir Francis Jacobs KCMG KC (founding Chairman)
Sir David Wootton
Click here to view the list of current Lawyers Group members.
Click here to find a leaflet about the Lawyers Group. We encourage members to circulate this to anyone they think may wish to join the group!
Lawyers Group members can join the LinkedIn group here.
27 April | A talk by Paul O'Mahony and Professor Fiona Macintosh on Greek Tragedy in the Modern World at Allen & Overy.
26 October | A moot trial of Cicero at the Supreme Court, presided over by Lady Rose (Justice of the Supreme Court) with Richard Whittam KC counsel for the prosecution and Ali Bajwa KC counsel for the defence.
Previous Lawyers Group events (2022)
- A talk by John Davie on The New Testament from a Roman Perspective at King's College London.
- A talk by Dr Justine McConnell on The Odyssey in a Postcolonial World at Linklaters LLP.
- A moot trial of Alexander the Great at the Supreme Court, presided over by Lord Leggatt with Philippe Sands KC counsel for the prosecution and Patrick Gibbs KC counsel for the defence.
Previous Lawyers Group events (2021)
- A talk by Professor A. C. Grayling on What the Stoics can teach us about living through the Covid-19 crisis.
- A bonus talk by Professor A. C. Grayling on Stoicism and After: Philosophy and Life.
- A talk by Professor Michael Scott on Remembering and Forgetting the Past: Athens in 403 BC.
- A moot trial of Boudicca: Terrorist or Freedom Fighter? at the Supreme Court. Presided over by Lord Stephens with Thomas Grant QC counsel for the defence, and Alison Morgan QC counsel for the prosecution. Read the indictment here. A summary by Patrick Kidd was published in The Times on 15 October 2021.
If you would like any more information about the Lawyers Group and how to join, please get in touch. E: [email protected] T: 0207 848 4741
For a taste of events on offer to Lawyers Group members, watch our Moot Trial of Boudica (October 2021) here:
Previous moot trials and Lawyers Group events are available to watch on our YouTube channel.