Network co-ordinator: Angela Dix, [email protected]
Founded in 2018, the East of England Network supports state primary and secondary schools to introduce classics on or off the school curriculum. The network works in partnership with the University of Cambridge, the local Classical Association and The Leys School, an independent school committed to promoting classics in state schools.
Since 2018, the Network has:
- Supported 152 schools, 112 primary and 40 secondary schools, to introduce or improve their classics provision.
- Trained over 550 teachers, many of whom had never studied classics before themselves, allowing over 15,000 pupils to study classical subjects on a regular basis.
- Introducing Latin to five primary schools across the Brooke Weston Trust. Led by Peckover Primary in Wisbech, this group of schools have all started to teach Latin across Key Stage 2, training 40 teachers and reaching 1,140 pupils.
- Holding online ‘Teach-Meets’ throughout the year in collaboration with the local Classical Association to support teachers from local schools.
- Offering a Primary Classics evening to help primary colleagues plan their Classics curriculum, attracting over 40 attendees.
- Use of shared remote teaching to broaden access to Latin for pupils across the Cambridge Academic Partnership. 20 students from Trumpington joined with Parkside Year 7 students for online Latin teaching. Six Year 10 pupils from Cambridge Academy of Science and Technology took part in an online fast-track GCSE Latin course with Parkside Year 10s, which will continue into Y11.
- Establishing a primary school mythology competition to complement the Classical Association’s Junior and Senior Reading competitions.
- Collaborating with the Classical Association to plan a shared Cambridge Greek Club to teach Greek online to KS3 and KS5 students.
If you teach in a state school and want our help to start teaching or develop classics on or off the curriculum, please get in touch.
Classics for All is very grateful to the John Coates Charitable Trust for sponsoring work in Cambridge and the surrounding area in 2021.
We invite individual or corporate sponsorship of our regional networks. If you would like to find out more, please get in touch at [email protected].