Network Co-ordinator: Alice Case, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter: @ClassicsNorth
Follow us on Facebook: @ClassicsNetworkNorth
Liverpool College Classics Network was established in 2016 to support the growth of classics teaching in state schools in the North West. Since 2016, the College and the University have retained a shared responsibility for running Liverpool’s successful and growing Greek school, which teaches 60 pupils per year GCSE Greek.
Since inception we have:
- tripled the number of primary schools teaching Latin to twelve. New recruits include schools serving areas of high disadvantage including St Andrew’s Magull, St Luke’s Formby and St Margaret’s Anfield.
- supported three secondary schools including Savio Salesian and Bellerive with plans for after school classics classes and the introduction of Ancient History A level.
- supported a second group of 20 GCSE pupils through the Greek School which continued online despite the pandemic. Results were impressive with all pupils achieving top grades. The college also launched an AS level Greek in September 2019 and five students enrolled. Four of these are now keen to continue to A level.
- trained six new classics teachers at the College with Liverpool Hope University. Recruits undertook placements at schools including Stockport Grammar, Bluecoat and Thornleigh Salesian Schools.
In 2020-2021 our aims are to:
- introduce Latin to six new schools in areas of deprivation, including schools in Cumbria.
- encourage new secondary schools to incorporate the teaching of classics on the curriculum at Key Stage 3
- increase the number of classics teachers trained at Liverpool College from six to eight helping to address teacher shortages.
- Recruiting at least 30 new students to the Greek summer school and ensuring the successful completion of the A level course.
If you are interested in introducing or expanding the teaching of classics in your schools with pupils of all ages and abilities please get in touch with us. We would love to hear from you and all the support we offer is free.
THE LIVERPOOL COLLEGE CLASSICS NETWORK IS SUPPORTED BY: The Rushworth Foundation which supports music, the arts and education in Liverpool