Network Co-ordinator: Linda Soames, firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our website: https://www.cfasoutheast.org/
The Network was launched in 2018. Working with schools and colleagues from the universities of Oxford and Reading and Cheney School in Oxford, we support teachers interested in teaching classics from scratch or improving their subject knowledge. In the two years we have been up and running we have made great progress. developing a network of 12 schools keen to develop their teaching of classical subjects.
In 2019-20, the network worked with seven new state schools. Recent developments include:
- on-going collaboration with the University of Reading Classics Department on outreach events to promote the benefits of studying classical subjects.
- the first cohort of students taking ancient history AS Level at Burford School.
- the teaching of Latin GCSE at Edgbarrow School in partnership with Wellington College.
- after-school Latin class for pupils at Langtree School, Woodcote, leading to Latin at GCSE in 2021.
- the launch of classical civilisation A Level in Oxford Spires Academy.
- training to introduce classical civilisation GCSE at Trinity School, Newbury.
- training 16 teachers at St Mary’s CE Primary Shinfield to teach Latin as their main foreign language using Minimus.
- training teachers at All Saints Primary Reading to teach classics
In 2020-21, we have plans to:
- expand our network of schools across our three counties.
- reschedule our annual outreach day for secondary pupils at Reading University; initiate an outreach day for primary pupils with the Ure Museum at Reading and hold an outreach day for Buckinghamshire primary school teachers.
- recruit new primary schools in the region to embed classics on the curriculum.
- work in partnership with Study Higher, to develop links with nine potential secondary schools in areas of socio-economic deprivation.
- work more widely in partnership with independent schools in our area.
- reinstate our 10th Anniversary Art Competition celebrations.
We are keen to hear from any teachers who are interested in training to introduce classics from scratch or to expand classics provision further in their schools. We would be delighted to hear from you.
NETWORK SPONSOR: Ian and Caroline Laing