Network Co-ordinator: Will Dearnaley, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook: @ClassicsNetworkNorth
Follow us on Twitter: @ClassicsNorth
Set up in 2015, we aim to bring classics to schools in Greater Manchester. So far we have introduced Latin to 20 new schools across the North West, reaching over 1000 students. We train non-specialist teachers wanting to offer classical subjects from primary school through to A-Level. Our team helps schools to find the right route into classics for their students., be it a ancient history GCSE or teaching Latin to support literacy in primary schools. In 2019-20, among other achievements:
- we trained 17 English teachers to teach the Key Stage 3 Cambridge Latin Course at Our Lady’s and Turton Schools.
- We trained two new primary schools to teach classics on the curriculum Beamont and Stanley Road Primary schools.
- we began the development of a Roman Britain pack with a graphic novel and 3D prints of Roman coins, in order to recruit new schools and signpost local sites of interest.
- we hosted a training day for local teachers keen to teach Latin led by Classics for All’s Steve Hunt.
- we hosted a GCSE Latin day for students to improve their knowledge of set texts run by subject specialists in the Department.
In 2020-21 we aim to:
- extend the scope of our work through an ancient history insight day for pupils in Year 12. This will include parallel sessions on archaeology, history and literature in translation, in addition to beginners' languages.
- encourage more secondary schools to explore the integration of classics across the curriculum at Key Stage 3 and the introduction of classics at GCSE level.
- increase the number of primary schools in the area teaching ancient languages as their main foreign language.
At Manchester, we have a track record of introducing Latin and classics to schools using innovative approaches. If you are interested in improving your current teaching about the ancient world or are thinking about starting out with classics, please get in touch.
For more information on what we do, please see contact Maria Haley or visit our website, All the support we offer is free of charge.
We invite individual or corporate sponsorship of our regional networks. If you would like to find out more, please contact Sacha: email@example.com.