Network Co-ordinator: Leigh-Rowan Herring, firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Lead: Maria Oikonomou, email@example.com
Network Support: Danny Pucknell, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Welsh Classics Hwb was founded in 2015 by Dr Evelien Bracke of Swansea University to promote the teaching of classical subjects in state schools in Wales. In an encouraging first year, CfA training reached 64 new teachers and 30 schools across Wales.
Dr Bracke stepped down in 2017 and after two years of inactivity, Lucy Roberts, a teacher at Wyedean School, took on the network from 2019. Lucy’s work in the region was disrupted by the pandemic, however in June 2021, activity was resumed by Danny Pucknell, ancient history teacher at Cardiff Vale School. Supported by the Departments of Classics and Ancient History at Swansea and Cardiff universities, Danny has reorganised and relaunched the Wales Classics Network in 2022, under the guidance of Leigh-Rowan Herring, a qualified classics teacher and current PhD student at Swansea University, who has taken on the Network Co-ordinator role. Maria Oikonomou will provide support as Academic Lead on behalf of Swansea University.
An ambitious set of priorities has been devised for 2022-23, which includes:
- introducing classics on the curriculum or after school in at least five secondary schools and eight new primaries.
- introducing a classics module on the in-house PGCE training programme at Cardiff and Vale College.
- running events to engage schools across Wales and neighbouring networks including Bristol and Liverpool.
- collaborating with outreach departments at Cardiff and Swansea universities to help establish links with new schools across the country.
- developing resources that will support the teaching of GCSE and A Level classics courses.
The network aims to introduce classical subjects in local state schools, offering free resources, training and support for teachers interested in increasing pupils’ access to the ancient world.
We invite individual or corporate sponsorship of our regional networks. If you would like to find out more, please contact Alice at email@example.com.